Monday, September 10, 2012

Bourbon taste - Red Stag (cinnamon)

Red Stag (spiced with cinnamon)
80 proof (40% ABV) Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey infused with natural flavors

Aroma:  Pleasant aroma - hint of sweetness typical of bourbon.  Inhaling through my mouth I can sense a hint of cinnamon taste and smell.
 
First sip:  Taken neat at room temperature.  I gave the first sip a good swishing to cover all parts of my mouth and waited a moment before swallowing.  I immediately recognized the taste of bourbon with something else also present.  I couldn't immediately pick it out as cinnamon though.  After a few swishes around my mouth, I was able to feel the heat - a pleasant heat - of the cinnamon on my gums.  There was no throat burn when I swallowed, but swallowing did allow the full spice of the cinnamon to blossom - rather like the flavor and sensation of the spice in a cinnamon chewing gum.

Second and third sips:  Trying to think more specifically about the bourbon flavor on this sip...  It's not harsh.  The alcohol doesn't burn.  The alcohol seems clean - no suggestion of rubbing alcohol.  The majority of the heat is from the cinnamon.  There is a little sourness in the bourbon that I pick up on the roof of my mouth.  Any complexity or subtle flavors that might be in the bourbon are masked by the cinnamon.  Mouth feel does not stand out as thick nor thin.

Fourth taste:  Now on the rocks - in a glass with a few ice cubes.  The cool temperature takes the edge off of the cinnamon heat.  Surprisingly a little sweetness comes through when the cinnamon is damped down.  The after taste still reminds me of chewing Dentyne or Big Red gum.

Fifth taste:  Mixed with an equal amount of Coke on the rocks.  Not bad, rather tame when mixed like this.  I'm not sure either product benefits from the mixing.

Recommendation:  Not for the bourbon aficionado, but it has its place.  Order a shot at the bar or buy an 'airline' bottle (like I did) and try it.  If you sip it, it can provide an interesting diversion - a novelty - from the usual sipping experience.  Or try it as a cinnamon shooter or as a mixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment